Turkey blocked access to Twitter, YouTube and Facebook over the publication of photos of a prosecutor taken hostage and killed by militants in Istanbul last week. The websites went back online shortly after complying with the demands of authorities.
Turkey’s presidential spokesman Ibrahim Kalin said a prosecutor sought the ban on social media on Monday after the photos’ release.
“This has to do with the publishing of the prosecutor’s picture. What happened in the aftermath (of the prosecutor’s killing) is as grim as the incident itself,” he said, Reuters reports.