Today the US released its CIA report on torture. The results are shocking. For example, the New York Times provides 7 Key Points From the C.I.A. Torture Report.
- The C.I.A.’s interrogation techniques were more brutal and employed more extensively than the agency portrayed.
- The C.I.A. interrogation program was mismanaged and was not subject to adequate oversight.
- The C.I.A. misled members of Congress and the White House about the effectiveness and extent of its brutal interrogation techniques.
- Interrogators in the field who tried to stop the brutal techniques were repeatedly overruled by senior C.I.A. officials.
- The C.I.A. repeatedly underreported the number of people it detained and subjected to harsh interrogation techniques under the program.
- At least 26 detainees were wrongfully held and did not meet the government’s standard for detention.
- The C.I.A. leaked classified information to journalists, exaggerating the success of interrogation methods in an effort to gain public support.
Here’s the full 525-page sanitized and redacted Congressional Study on CIA Torture. Various reports and excerpts follow: