At age 91, maybe senility set in. Or a time of reflection. At the same time, trying to have things both ways. More on this below.
- three to four million Southeast Asian deaths;
- ousting Chile’s Salvador Allende; replacing him with Augusto Pinochet; followed by 17 years of state terror;
- support for other Latin American despots;
- backing Surharto’s West Papua takeover; his East Timor invasion; massacring hundreds of thousands;
- supported the Khmer Rouge’s rise to power; its reign of terror early on;
- backed Pakistan’s overthrow of Bangladesh’s democratically elected government; causing half a million deaths; and
- various other high crimes against peace.